Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cold Frame Construction

As the weather cools, I get rejuvenated about the garden. Currently I am swimming in melons and beets and carrots. But I know that soon enough the summer bounty will wane. I will quickly go from being selective of which fruits to pick to scrounging for something that isn't soft from frost. In recent years, I have tried to remember to plant cool weather seeds in August. This year I did remember and have a nice crop of lettuces already. The problem has always been finding space. So I started constructing raised beds that I can cover as it cools, or shade in the spring as it warms. These raised beds also help define the garden and don't get in the way of the larger summer plot, to which I add compost and rototill every fall and spring.

I convinced the bosses (not hard to do really) to let me build a cold frame at work as a sort of show bed. I told them I could convince people more easily to use our topsoil if they can see a pleasant little crop of radishes, beets, and greens. Besides, with what we promote and believe as a company, how can we NOT have a vegetable garden?! (Actually, we tried several years ago. We did it differently and got hammered by the rabbits, the wind and the sun.)

So I did build one. It really is very simple, it only took me a morning to do it all.
As always, I start at the trusty recycled lumber pile. Between what's available and what I have in mind, I can collect the necessary pieces.



Then, I construct the bed and place it. In this case, it is on a south facing wall. It will get plenty of shade from a beautiful Chitalpa in the summer, but when the tree drops its leaves, the bed will get a heavy dose of winter sun. Hopefully the building will trap some heat and protect the cold frame from some wind. Maybe we will even get a little heat from the radiant heater that sits inside the office.



Before I fill the frame with a high quality planting medium (read: Soilutions' Topsoil Blend; a mixture of our Premium Compost and local sandy loam that is approved for use on certified organic gardens in NM) I placed a wire mesh on the bottom. My intent is to keep squirrels, skunks, or gophers out of it. I used a piece of galvanized hardware cloth that we had sitting around the heap. Chicken wire would work well, too.



In goes the Topsoil Blend...



then the seeds.




I scavenged a couple of lengths of 3/4" PVC and some sheeting from our trash pile and put together a little hoop frame to cover the bed. This will act like a greenhouse: keep the moisture and the day's heat in and the frost out. 1/2" PVC would have worked better, i.e., more flexible, but when you using recycled materials, you take what you find.



If, during the day, it gets too warm, which is all too often this time of year, I can open the lid temporarily.



Stay tuned for progressive photos of the sprouts. Don't be bashful, come on down and grab a radish or two!

3 comments:

The Enduring Gardener said...

If you're not inclined to build one you can cheat and buy one at www.colframes.com

It'll cost you though, they're not cheap!

walter said...

If you are inclined to buy one, I would go to www.veggiegrower.net. He's a local guy who builds a great growing system. He also offers set up, consultations, soil, assistance, and build it yourself kits. These, too, are not cheap, but as with all things growing related, a local source who understands the unique climate challenges of this area is usually a better bet than something made elsewhere in the country.

In an effort to personalize your gardening experience, I encourage you all to look around your yard, though. I would venture to guess that you have the materials to build a suitable cold frame. Vegetable gardening is not easy. It takes time and patience and a great deal of humility. I balk at the idea that you can just buy something and PRESTO! have a vegetable garden.

Portable Storage said...

Thanks for the article.Your article was pretty informative and i hope that in future also i get these kind of article.

Thanks,
Portable Storage,
www.moveablecubicle.com