Thursday, April 21, 2011

Road side Ruminations

I was driving my boys home from school yesterday when I got to thinking. As anyone with pre teen boys will tell you, they are constantly hungry. I try to make it a point to have a burrito or some snack for them so they stay in a good mood on the drive. Yesterday I came from work, so did not have a chance to stop and stock up. I did have some peanuts in my lunch pail and offered them up. They ate them ravenously and made a game of tossing the shells out the window at various street signs.
Now what got me thinking was how cool it was that we could just throw the shells out the window without any social discrimination. Tossing peanut shells out the car window isn’t considered littering in my book. Since they are a natural product I consider it feeding the critters that scavenge the roadsides. I put apple cores, sunflower seeds, and orange peels in the same category.
When we pulled up to a stop sign and the car in front of us opened its door and dropped a McDonald’s bag on the ground before driving away, it made clear a point: by eating natural food in the packaging that Mother Nature gave it, we are making our lives easier in yet another way. Not only are we putting less strain on the systems (health care, sanitary, road maintenance, etc,) but we are putting less strain on ourselves. I mean I don’t have to worry about finding a trash can, or about spending an hour on the weekend cleaning the foot wells of my car.
How cool is that?

No comments: